The Broken Down View
I love this picture my fabulous husband took this past summer. I could write a whole book about this photo.
First, the beautiful sky at sunset. You will never see the same one... no duplicates. A fresh and original painting across the horizon every evening. I’ve always preferred sunsets. I tend to miss most sunrises due to an extreme aversion to the time of day in which they happen. Although, rumor has it they are just as glorious and unique.
Secondly, the bridge. This is the treacherous bridge that we traveled over to get to our quaint, destination wedding town of Irvington, Virginia. Back then, 13 years ago, I was naive and trusting enough to enjoy driving over this overwhelming monstrosity. Not a care in the world. No thought, whatsoever, of making the tragic mistake of dodging an aloof seagull and plunging hundreds of feet to a watery grave, never to be seen again. The irony certainly doesn’t escape me, even now, that this was the necessary road to be traveled to marry the love of my life. Thank goodness that young love is blind... otherwise we would have both just set up our individual camps of opinion and offense on opposing sides of this great divide.
Marriage has been the equivalent of leaving the security of our own camps, stationed safely on shore... and taking the treacherous hike to the middle of the chasm to be with the one you love. Sometimes the adventure is beautiful and sometimes absolutely terrifying... but the view from the top of the bridge is always worth it. ALWAYS.
Speaking of views... I absolutely love the perspective that Lover Boy captured in this photo. It’s a broken down view. The view of someone that is able to breathe, rest and enjoy a beautiful sunset as they’re being towed back to the dock after breaking down.
When the expectations of a fun weekend on the boat ‘died in the water’... he took a picture. I love that. This picture speaks to me more that any mountaintop view.
Our world is bursting with beauty from every perspective... and to stop and see the beauty right where you are is a priceless gift to possess. An inheritance I want to pass on to my children.
I have a game I love to play with my kids in the car. Whenever we are stopped at a light or stuck in traffic... or broken down on the side of the interstate in the pouring, January rain with a blown tire... I ask them , as the rumblings of discontentment start to surface... “What can you see right now? Something beautiful that you would’ve missed if we weren’t stopped right here in this place.”
“A beautiful magnolia blossom!” , one child will immediately play along.
“Nothing.” , a particularly obstinate child inevitably adds, “I’ve seen everything before.”
Each child has their own tendency... and view point. Their ‘first response’ to breaking down. We all do.
“ I see stinky trash!” my little comedian bursts into the conversation with laughter.
“Poopy!” , the practically perfect baby of the family exclaims.
Finding contentment, true peace and contentment in any situation is my hope and prayer for my family these days. A sunset from a broken down boat.
First, the beautiful sky at sunset. You will never see the same one... no duplicates. A fresh and original painting across the horizon every evening. I’ve always preferred sunsets. I tend to miss most sunrises due to an extreme aversion to the time of day in which they happen. Although, rumor has it they are just as glorious and unique.
Secondly, the bridge. This is the treacherous bridge that we traveled over to get to our quaint, destination wedding town of Irvington, Virginia. Back then, 13 years ago, I was naive and trusting enough to enjoy driving over this overwhelming monstrosity. Not a care in the world. No thought, whatsoever, of making the tragic mistake of dodging an aloof seagull and plunging hundreds of feet to a watery grave, never to be seen again. The irony certainly doesn’t escape me, even now, that this was the necessary road to be traveled to marry the love of my life. Thank goodness that young love is blind... otherwise we would have both just set up our individual camps of opinion and offense on opposing sides of this great divide.
Marriage has been the equivalent of leaving the security of our own camps, stationed safely on shore... and taking the treacherous hike to the middle of the chasm to be with the one you love. Sometimes the adventure is beautiful and sometimes absolutely terrifying... but the view from the top of the bridge is always worth it. ALWAYS.
Speaking of views... I absolutely love the perspective that Lover Boy captured in this photo. It’s a broken down view. The view of someone that is able to breathe, rest and enjoy a beautiful sunset as they’re being towed back to the dock after breaking down.
When the expectations of a fun weekend on the boat ‘died in the water’... he took a picture. I love that. This picture speaks to me more that any mountaintop view.
Our world is bursting with beauty from every perspective... and to stop and see the beauty right where you are is a priceless gift to possess. An inheritance I want to pass on to my children.
I have a game I love to play with my kids in the car. Whenever we are stopped at a light or stuck in traffic... or broken down on the side of the interstate in the pouring, January rain with a blown tire... I ask them , as the rumblings of discontentment start to surface... “What can you see right now? Something beautiful that you would’ve missed if we weren’t stopped right here in this place.”
“A beautiful magnolia blossom!” , one child will immediately play along.
“Nothing.” , a particularly obstinate child inevitably adds, “I’ve seen everything before.”
Each child has their own tendency... and view point. Their ‘first response’ to breaking down. We all do.
“ I see stinky trash!” my little comedian bursts into the conversation with laughter.
“Poopy!” , the practically perfect baby of the family exclaims.
Finding contentment, true peace and contentment in any situation is my hope and prayer for my family these days. A sunset from a broken down boat.

Comments