"Dada!"



Being a parent is wonderful in so many ways. One way in particular that I'm so grateful for, is the way it gives us a glimpse of our relationship with our Heavenly Father. I remember thinking that when Evangeline was about 5 months old and I had to stop nursing her and give her a bottle. I was still not very good at figuring out just how much she needed or even when she'd be hungry, since it was so different than nursing. She's always been very demanding and vocal, even at such an early age. She would realize that she was hungry... then immediately fall apart like it was the end of the world. At first I would try to hold her in one arm, while frantically trying to make a bottle. Soon enough I realized that it would be better for both of us, and ultimately quicker, for me to put her down as I made her bottle, even if she was screaming. As a new mom, it unnerved me that she was crying... but I knew something that she didn't. The bottle was on it's way. The second she let me know she was hungry... I sprung into action. I always heard her and I was never far off. Even though she couldn't see me and couldn't comprehend that I was just in the next room preparing exactly what she needed.

The same thing struck me again as she woke up this morning. David and I were aware the second she was awake. Rolling all over her crib. Counting the numerous passies that she insists on going to bed with. Looking out her window. Yelling at the cars as they pass by. David and I even turned her video monitor on and just watched and marveled at how smart and adorable she is. We were willing and able to go in and get her at any time. We continued preparing for the day, always mindful of what she was doing in there. After about 10 minutes, it was clear that she was ready to get out. Jumping up and down... running in circles like a caged chicken... she slung her bottle across the room and yelled "Oh No!" as it crashed into the wall. David and I were right outside of her door... waiting. Waiting for the best part of our morning. "DADA! DADA! Come see me! DADDY!!!" She called with complete expectation. Not even a question in her mind that we wouldn't come. Of coarse we couldn't wait to rush in immediately and scoop her up.

How often I forget that God is ever mindful of me. He knows when I sleep and when I rise... He knows my thoughts from afar. I forget that He takes pleasure in hearing me call out to him. Too often I tell myself "He knows what's going on. He's sovereign. He could change things if He wanted." These things are true... but could He be waiting right outside my door? Waiting for child like faith. Waiting for me to call him... "Daddy!"

Comments

AbbysMom said…
As always thanks for posting. This spoke to me today!
abbey said…
so true Jess! this encouraged me too :) I love that as well...listening for the eventual MAMA! MAMA! so precious.
Mimi said…
Absolutely beautiful and so encouraging. Thanks Jess!
Lizzy said…
awesome post. thanks, friend!!

Popular Posts