"Salutations!"
"Hey! How are you?"
This 'American' greeting has always bothered me a little. I'm sure they say it in other parts of the world... but perhaps not so casually. I remember a friend of mine from Russia commenting on the way we greet each other here. "When I ask someone 'How are you?' (KAK dela?)" they said... "It's because I REALLY want to know how you're doing. Otherwise, I just say 'hi' (Previet). Of coarse... such common sense. So simplistic.
I remember our pastor mentioning this in a message he gave about 'Caring for one another' and being honest in our speech. He challenged us... "Are you honest in your response? ... or do you just say 'fine' and move on?" Well, I must admit that I've never had a problem being honest with people... in this way. Usually, if you ask me something, you get a straight answer. It's wonderfully refreshing when someone asks "Hey how's it going?!" and you come back with a "Terrible... and you?" ... and instead of passing by casually, they stop to ask how they can help or pray for you. This should be the normal... but instead, we continue on an oblivious path of habitual rudeness. I can't tell you how many times I've left an event, full of people I know, feeling totally alone. So many faces grinning the words "Hey, How's it going? ..."Oh Hi! How are you?!"... and passing me by before I can even get the words out.
"I'm horrible. I'm really not doing well today." "I think I'm at the end of my rope." "Life is painful and overwhelming."
Even worse... how many people have I done the same to... without even realizing it?
So this is fair warning! If you ask me 'how I'm doing'... you better be ready for an answer! And if I ask you how you're doing... you better have a more descriptive answer than 'fine'! I can just see the multitudes spotting me in the church lobby or the next family gathering... and doing a side-step-polka-fox-trot to avoid running into me... but there's no need for that. If you are simply in a rush or don't have the emotional energy, just say 'Hi.'
This 'American' greeting has always bothered me a little. I'm sure they say it in other parts of the world... but perhaps not so casually. I remember a friend of mine from Russia commenting on the way we greet each other here. "When I ask someone 'How are you?' (KAK dela?)" they said... "It's because I REALLY want to know how you're doing. Otherwise, I just say 'hi' (Previet). Of coarse... such common sense. So simplistic.
I remember our pastor mentioning this in a message he gave about 'Caring for one another' and being honest in our speech. He challenged us... "Are you honest in your response? ... or do you just say 'fine' and move on?" Well, I must admit that I've never had a problem being honest with people... in this way. Usually, if you ask me something, you get a straight answer. It's wonderfully refreshing when someone asks "Hey how's it going?!" and you come back with a "Terrible... and you?" ... and instead of passing by casually, they stop to ask how they can help or pray for you. This should be the normal... but instead, we continue on an oblivious path of habitual rudeness. I can't tell you how many times I've left an event, full of people I know, feeling totally alone. So many faces grinning the words "Hey, How's it going? ..."Oh Hi! How are you?!"... and passing me by before I can even get the words out.
"I'm horrible. I'm really not doing well today." "I think I'm at the end of my rope." "Life is painful and overwhelming."
Even worse... how many people have I done the same to... without even realizing it?
So this is fair warning! If you ask me 'how I'm doing'... you better be ready for an answer! And if I ask you how you're doing... you better have a more descriptive answer than 'fine'! I can just see the multitudes spotting me in the church lobby or the next family gathering... and doing a side-step-polka-fox-trot to avoid running into me... but there's no need for that. If you are simply in a rush or don't have the emotional energy, just say 'Hi.'

Comments